Saturday, November 7, 2020

souvenirs niçois

Traveling to Nice is always a treat.

I remember the first time, some seventeen years ago. I was going to hang out with my friend Danielle. I flew into the international airport, either from the United States or from the United Kingdom, I can no longer recall which. But what I do recall was the bus ride into the city center. We rode along the Mediterranean coast, and I had never seen a sea so blue. I was mesmerized.

I had a chance to relive the same memory five years ago, when I went to meet up with my buddy Brian. That time though, it was the from the TGV (a high-speed train) from Paris. I had a window seat, and utterly loved gazing out towards the sea, building up excitement about the weekend.

This time around, last month, I did take the TGV again, but from Provence. The enchantement from the previous time was however nonexistent. Why? Because it was dark outside. 10pm dark. Nothing blue to see through the window.

But whatever, I was going to Nice!

For me, this trip, at the tail end of a two-week vacation, was going to be mostly one about going down memory lane. What made it extra special was using Vieux-Nice (the old city) as a base. It was a neighborhood far from modern, yet charming nonetheless. Besides, it had several spots where one could get socca, even though I was interested only in one particular spot.

Three days was not enough, but I did my best to make them worthwhile.

Place Rossetti in Vieux-Nice
Place Rossetti in Vieux-Nice


Lou Pilha Leva (Old Nice eatery offering the best tasting socca according to Wikitravel)
Lou Pilha Leva
(Old Nice eatery offering the best tasting socca according to Wikitravel)

Socca (a chickpea-based pancake)
Socca
(a chickpea-based pancake)

Promenade des Anglais
Promenade des Anglais

Colline du Château (viewed from la Promenade des Anglais)
Colline du Château
(viewed from la Promenade des Anglais)

Salade niçoise at Le Safari
Salade niçoise at Le Safari

View from la Colline du Château
View from la Colline du Château

I Love NICE. And you?
And you?

The pedestrian and bicycle lanes along the coast was a new sighting
The pedestrian and bicycle lanes along the coast was a new sighting

Daurade royale (gilt-head bream) at la Maison de Marie
Daurade royale (gilt-head bream) at la Maison de Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment